Friday, December 11, 2009

Oscar de la Renta - 1968

Today, I want to share one of my latest finds with you. On November 11, 1968, Mrs. J. F. Schoellkof ordered this Oscar de la Renta evening gown with matching opera coat from Bergdorf Goodman's Custom Salon.


Bergdorf Goodman would order sample garments from various designer and couture houses, and then have them custom made for their customers. They did the final fitting and tailoring in-house.

This stunning set by Oscar de la Renta is fashioned of metallic brocade in pink, brown, and cream with gold threads. The opera coat has a mink fur collar and cuffs.

The coat opens to reveal a matching dress.

The dress alone is a knock-out, but when you add the coat, that takes it into the stratosphere.

The coat has huge elaborate frog closures in metallic gold with rhinestones, pearls, and chains.

The dress is trimmed with gold braid, rhinestones, gold beads, and bell shaped metal rings.

This is, quite simply, one of the most amazing garments I've ever found in my years in this business. I wish I could have met Mrs. Schoellkof. She must have been quite a woman!

For more details, see the listing at Couture Allure.